US cars --> Canada

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: US cars --> Canada
From: JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:44:00 -0500
     I checked into the situation a little while ago as I was thinking of
     importing a car (into Canada), and there's no problem and no duty if
     the car is > 15 years old. There are a bunch of forms to fill out, and
     the car must be ready to pass a safety inspection within 60 days. Some
     very odd vehicles may be prohibited completely, but not normal cars.
     safety is a much bigger concern than pollution, which is only
     beginning to be a concern.

     The only caveat is that (I think) this varies from province to
     province, as car issues are provincial (yeah yeah) but importing and
     duty issues are federal.

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     (Ontario, Canada)