RE: Falcon SS Exhaust

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Falcon SS Exhaust
From: Art & Karen Graves <denseboy@bga.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:21:42 -0800
Cc: ssutton@ridgenet.net
I have been looking at the Falcon Stainless Steel exhaust systems for my '74
TR-6 that TRF, MOSS, VB sell.  Anyone have any comments, i.e.  fit, quality,
sound, etc  on either the standard or the 'sports' version.

Thanks.

Steve Sutton
'74 TR-6

************

Steve,

I installed the Falcon SS exhaust on my 1976 TR6 last summer and I think I like
it. The
best part was cutting the old exhaust system out using a carbide blade in a
Skilsaw. But
I digress.

I bought mine from TRF and the kit included all hangers, clamps and gaskets.
All pipes
fit together great and it was easy to arrange the pipes so that they do not hit
or rub
the chassis.

The only part I did not do well was to push the pipes together as far as
possible. I did
have some leaks because of this and eventually went to a muffler shop for an
"expert"
opinion and fitting. One good thing about this "expert" is that he did not try
to talk
me into welding the pipes together.

The exhaust sound is louder than I would like. However I am not sure if that is
because
I still have an exhaust leak or if the muffler just doesn't muffle as much as I
want. I
may have some leakage around the manifold. I haven't pursued it because when
I'm driving
70+ MPH with the top down, it just doesn't matter. According to a local clum
member,
the exhaust will get quieter after about 6 months. We'll see.

I chose this system because I wanted something that I could disassemble if I
needed to.
If I could have (and judging from a thread several months ago, maybe I could
have) I
would go back to Midas for a complete system and install. The pipes I cut off
last
summer lasted 17 years and 120K miles. Oh, they did replace the muffler once at
no
charge to me.

I hope this helps.

Art Graves