Update on backfiring situation

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on backfiring situation
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:23:49 -0800 (PST)
I went out today (in the pouring rain), moved the TR4 under cover, and
began trouble-shooting.

Trouble:  Backfiring while shifting (thru tailpipe), occasional miss,
misfire, backfire thru carbs when downshifting (heel-toe) up to a
stoplight (or just slowing down).  The latter sares me the most.  Also, on
barely open throttle, I get a bit of a sputter.  If I open it a bit more,
it's OK then starts to sputter.  Really goosing the gas doesn't produce
much trouble (the occasional pop, but nothing nasty) ...however, I have a
fear of speeding tickets and driving a-la leadfoot is not the best way to
avoid 'em.

Shooting:
Valve clearances were all OK, I set them all to 0.010 again anyway.
Points gap was too tight, re-set to 0.015.  Plugs look OK, no carbon
fouling, but a bit too dark brown for my tastes.

Tomorrow I will try to fiddle with the carbs a bit.  I haven't tuned them
since I foudn hy (hopefully) only vacuum leak.  I'll also check out the
fittings for the vacuum advance @ the carb and advance unit.

I have to drive the car on Thursday to school (80mil round trip).  I'd
like to figure this out by then, but who knows.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm