Re: PI's

To: cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz
Subject: Re: PI's
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:52:09 -0500
Cc: andrew@britclassiccar.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Peter,

My 72 TR6 is in fact fitted with the later head (and the early US spec
cam), so I can use the later type injection.

The advice I have received off the list (the contributors to this list are
superb resource) seems to indicate that the diff. cam/compression ratio
will require re-calibration of the metering unit.  There is a really good
FAQ on that topic on the Triump 2000/2.5 webs site.  I intend to fit an O2
sensor and use that to help me tune the system, so I am hoping that the
re-calibration will be more accurate as a result (I didn't think my
Colourtune was going to do it!).

If you are able to find the article on the PI conversion I would grateful
(as would so many others judging from my mail off-list - in fact it might
be just as easy to post the info straight to the list ....).

Thanks for the list of stuff - it seems largely identical to the one from
British Classics (although they didn't think it was worth shipping the
front-to-back fuel lines).  But your mention of the distributor is an
interesting one.  They haven't included that in their list, and I didn't
think it worth pruchasing.  I have looked at Piggott's book and all the PI
'6s appears to have vac. advance, but do not have the early double unit
with both vac. adv and retard.  My 72 has only the vac advance unit.  I
hope I can re-use that with new bob weights/springs from a PI system.
Finally, my tank appears to have all the requist holes in the right places
including the extra return port (filled with a threaded bung at the
moment), and I believe is the later baffled one used in all 72's whether PI
or not.

Any info on the spec of the Bosch pump would be appreciated as well, since
that may become an option down the way - incidentally, you mentioned a need
to change the pressure relief valve when changing pump.  Why is that
needed? and is it replaced with anything else?

Cheers,

Tony

>Saw your message on the list and thought I'd give my 0.02c worth.
>
>Here in NZ, Triumph PI saloons were quite common. As you've probably
>heard by now, the injection systems were identical as used on the later
>TR6s. I've sent a number of these systems to the US now and have found
>there are a few things to be aware of.
>
>If your TR is a 72, check you don't have the early type head with the
>narrow port spacing. These were changed about this time. The early ones
>do not fit the PI manifolds without major modification. Also the Cam and
>compression ratios need to be looked at. There is an excelent article
>written by one of the Australian Triumph club members on the web dealing
>with PI conversions. Let me know if you haven't seen this already and
>I'll dig out the address.
>
>Need to modify your gas tank to accept the return fuel flow from bypass
>and metering unit as well. Check that the "complete system" is complete.
>The complete system should include:
>
>3 x inlet manifolds ( the later type easier to mount with linkages etc.)
>Acelerator pedal linkages ( if the system came from a a TR6 - more
>likely it came from a saloon )
>Air box and Tube
>6xangled linkage hoses ( to air box )
>metering unit
>injectors WITH fuel lines
>inlet pipe to metering unit
>metering unit drive assembly
>Distributor - the PI system has no Vac advance and has different
>characteristics ( saloon one has elect Tacho)
>Fuel pump and mounting bracket
>pressure bypass valve
>Fuel filter ( big filter )
>pump-tank-valve-filter connecting pipes and fittings
>Inertia cutout switch and mounting bracket
>Metering unit to pump/tank pipes
>
>I would seriously consider changing the pump with a bosch unit. NZ
>climate is a bit warmer ( doesn't really get above 30 deg C ) than UK
>and we had alot of pump failures here. also need to change the bypass
>valve if you do this.
>
>$570US is a good price for a complete system. I have sold a few slightly
>less than this but they are starting to become rare over here too.
>Complete system is 20Kg and are expensive to ship.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Peter Cebalo
>
>Auckland, New Zealand
>
>73' Spitfire Mk IV

  Anthony Gordon                        Technology Education Consultant
  Saginaw Public Schools                tel:    1-517-797-4855
  ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd                fax:    1-517-797-4880
  Saginaw, MI 48602, USA                email:  tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us