Re: Body removal - TR250

To: skip@calendar.com
Subject: Re: Body removal - TR250
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:48:56 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Skip, I'm mid-stream in my own frame-off resto and have done a lot of
searching and researching myself. I have not yet pulled the body from
the frame, am getting the mechanicals all up to snuff and modifications
made before totally tearing down the car. Here are a few of the more
valuable resources I've found so far.

A recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports had an article on repairing,
stiffening and upgrading a TR4 frame. You might find it useful, at least
for the front half of your frame. I just called them and ordered a back
issue (and a subscription while I was at it). Their phone number is 904
673-4148.

I assume some of what you are dealing with is the lower wishbone inner
mounting points, where you shim to adjust the front suspension, which
are prone to cracking and tearing on your car, the 4A, the 5 and the 6.
There is a procedure for strengthening that area in the Competition Prep
Manual for the 4 & 4A (I'd guess the 250, 5 & 6 too). It gives do it
yourself guidelines. There are also kits for this modification available
from most of the big TR vendors, but I haven't used them.

I've found the various vendor catalogues a very valuable resource for
tearing the car apart and putting it back together.  There is also a
good book called "How to Restore British Sports Cars", which gives good
overall information.

I noticed in the recent Victoria British sale catalog that they are now
offering urethane bushing kits for just about the entire suspension on
your car, including the diff. mounting points.

I hope this helps.

Of course, no financial interest in any of the above, but you would
think I was in investor from my checkbook register and credit card
statements!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602L (soon O)