Rear Hub assembly, Was Rear Wheel noises....

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub assembly, Was Rear Wheel noises....
From: Tom Howard <howard@lsschools.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:48:04 -0800
Well I have been using all the info received so far on my rebuild of the
rear axles.

I have all the parts on order to replace all the wheel bearings, seals,
RotoFlex, U-joints, and brake hoses.

I, of course, have a question.   I was able to get the old outer wheel
bearings off the hub using the proper clamp plate and a 30 ton press.   The
question.  What order should I put things back together?

If I put on the seal and press on the outer bearing, what makes the seal go
into its seat without any guidance?  It seems that It will just hang up for
sure.

If I install all the bearings and seals in the upright member first, how
the heck will I get the hub to slide into those very close bearing inter
races?

I mean it took PRESSURE to get the old one off.

I do plan to freeze the Hub to reduce its size for assembly to the
bearings, but in what order?

=========

The original noise was the left side, inner bearing, inner race, slipping
against the hub.   This left some damage to the bearing mounting surface on
the hub.  Are there any suggestions out there about what to do about this.
  The damage is "medium".  I really don't want to invest the time and money
in a replacement hub.  (Where it the best place to get one, if a guy wanted
one, that is.)

Thank to all.

Tom Howard
'72 GT6