intor/distributor curves

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: intor/distributor curves
From: "Hill, Stephen M AETT:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:54:41 -0800
I initially sent this to the digest rather than the main list, which may
explain the lack of response.

Hi. I just joined the list and thought I would offer a brief introduction. I
have a 1971TVR with a TR6 enginewhich has been collecting dust in my garage
for too long. Most of these cars get hot rodded, with small block Chevs and
Ford V8 dropped in. Being more of a purist (masochist?), I have decided to
"warm" up the stock TR6 engine. I have the Triumph Tune Performance book,
and the Competition Preparation Manual, both of which do not say all that
much about distributors. So I have a couple of questions.

Should I disconnect the vacuum advance when using triple Webers, as I have
been told by one source??
What is the optimal distribution curve for the engine, given compression of
9.5 :1, triple webers, street cam, lightened flywheel, tuned exhaust. Seems
the earlier hotter TR5 engines used a 6 degree distributor (12 degrees at
the crank) and most of the later TR6 car that came to the US used a
centrifigal advance with quite a bit more advance (22 or 28 degrees at the
crank). Any guidance on this would be appreciated re: curve/springs, etc
would be appreciated.  Thanks. Stephen