RE: Cross country trip

To: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'Carl Huppert'" <Huppertc@aol.com>, "'TR List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cross country trip
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:03:47 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Personally, I would try US 40.  "The National Road."  It's basically a
straight shot and the oldest cross country highway in the nation.  If fact,
you would probably take US 40 as far as Saint Louis in any event as US 66
comes south out of Chicago and that would be a major diversion North.  I
have taken US 40 from near Pittsburgh to beyond Denver.  It's mostly dead
now and for long stretches of the Midwest it runs along (like 200 feet) of
I70  but at least there is some commerce and some architectural surprises.
How else can you get through the Midwest?

Another option would be US 50.

If you go north through the mountains, look up a state route in Wyoming
called alternate 14 (I would have sworn it was 19, but can't find that now
on the map).  I've been over it twice, once in 1980 when it was primarily
two lane gravel, nifty switch backs and the most beautiful place I've ever
seen.  I went over it again in about 1988 and they had widen it and pave it
so as to have lost all of it's original character, but it was still one of
the finest high speed drives I've ever taken.  You drop something like 9,000
feet in twelve miles.  Different from the memory, but still worthy.

Stop in downstate Illinois and I'll buy ya a beer.

Ken Gano
downstate illinois
'59 TR3A TS57756L
'58 TR10 TBE9239LDLB