RE: non lbc US trip suggestions?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "'begac@gte.net'" <begac@gte.net>
Subject: RE: non lbc US trip suggestions?
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:17:19 -0500
Yeah.  First, drive to Moose Head Lake in Maine.  I hear its beautiful this
time of year. Then drive south to the Florida Keys.  Don't forget to pop in
at Jimmy Buffet's place for a quick Margarita.  From the keys, head to north
Michigan to legendary Mackinaw Island ("Hey kids, this is where they filmed
that movie with that guy Christopher Reeve!  Yes, Bobby, the guy in the
wheel chair.").  Next on the itinerary is Atlanta.  A great city.  General
Sherman loved to stop in whenever he was in the area. From there, go north
to Chicago.  Don't forget the Picaso while you're there.  Then head down to
New Orleans.  If you time it right, you can enjoy Mardi Gras and get mugged
in the French Quarter all in one evening.  From there, drive straight to the
north woods of Minnesota. Also nice this time of year. ("Gee, Dad, the ice
LOOKED thick enough to walk on.")  Then its "Yee Hah, Pardner!"  Head your
wagon down to Texas.  ALL THE WAY DOWN Texas to Brownsville.  Thirteen hours
from the top of Texas down to the tip.  You can spend the afternoon on the
beach at Padre Island and cross over to Mexico to shop ("Dad, why does this
authentic Sombrero have a Made in China sticker on it?").  Next, you don't
want to miss Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.  A great family photo op.
("Yeah, honey, I think that IS a giant hair growing out of Teddy Roosevelt's
nose.") But don't get too comfortable, because your next stop is Carlsbad
Caverns in New Mexico to see the bats.  ("Bat guano is WHAT?") From there,
make a beeline for Montana to see Little Bighorn battlefield where Custer
bit the dust.  After you grab a quick souvenir "arrow stuck through a US
Cavalry hat" and snap a couple of pictures, jump in the car and head for the
Grand Canyon.  But, no time to stop!  Just take a quick look and spit over
the side as you drive by because next, you're off to Glacier National Park
in northern Idaho near the Canadian border.  Yes you'll be a little chilly,
but that's okay because next stop is sunny Las Vegas in the Nevada desert.
Play a quick game of Blackjack and catch 15 minutes of Wayne Newton and
you're off to Mount St. Helens in Washington ("Yes, yes, I assure you its
safe now...").  Then finally, six months and 72,000 miles later, you'll
arrive in Sacramento.  Definitely not a straight, boring shot.  What fun!
:-)
Greg Hutmacher, Travel Writer