timing a TR4 engine w/ light?

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: timing a TR4 engine w/ light?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:31:02 -0800 (PST)
OK, all this talk about moving distributors has got me thinking...

I fixed the vacuum line on my TR4 (so nice to have only one), and now it
sputters quite a bit on just-open-throttle when the engine is hot.  I have
twiddled with the timing (a LOT, grr) but I'd like to time it with my nice
expensive timing light... but there's no marks on the crank pulley!!

Anyone got a quick answer?  Can it be done?  If so, how?

thanks,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm