Re: Distributor Installation

To: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@iso.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor Installation
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:59:17 -0800
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Here's what I did at the end of my engine rebuild to verify my
timing would be close.  If there is anything wrong, I'm sure
someone on the list can correct me.

- Attach the distributor to the block
- Put the cap on the distributor and identify the #1 plug wire.
- Take a marker and make a line on the distributor body in line
with the #1 wire.

(If you know your timing marks on the crank pulley are correct,
move the engine to TDC and skip the next two steps.)
- Put your thumb over the #1 spark plug hole and rotate the
engine until you feel pressure buildup.  This finds the
compression stroke.
- Shine a light in the #1 spark plug hole and you should see the
top of the piston.  Rotate the engine in this range to the point
that the piston appears to be at the top (TDC).
- Look at the timing mark on the crank pulley.  It should show
very near 0 deg.
- Put the rotor on the distributor.  If you did everything right,
it should be pointing at the mark you made earlier.
- If it's in the neighborhood, adjust the distributor so their
close.
- The timing will now be close enough for the engine to run.
- Start the car and time using your light.

If you can't rotate the distributor enough to get the timing
right with the tach cable connected, your distributor drive gear
may be off a tooth.  A piece of coat hanger with a small bend
will lift the gear so you can rotate it.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6