Fwd: Re: Distributor Installation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Re: Distributor Installation
From: Damian Carvolth <d.carvolth@cat.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:17:01 +1000
I know your talking about installing the dizzy just now but I thought it
worth mentioning there is an alternative way of timing an engine,
particularly handy on modified engines and ones where timing marks are
wrong or not available, or for alternative fuels.

You attach a vacuum gauge to the inlet manifold and advance the timing
until the vacuum peaks. Eventually it will fall off again as you advance.

Anyway having found that spot retard it about 1/2 inch of mercury to allow
for hills etc and the timing's set for optimum performance.

Apart from doing it at idle if your building a racer then you can set it
for optimum advance at the revvs of your choice, like peak HP or torque....

You'll find it ends up about 5 degrees more advanced than manufacturers
specs, but that is just their being conservative for manufacturing
variations and condition of engine in service...

No comments on TR4 prices ?