Reassembling Spit 1300 Engine

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Reassembling Spit 1300 Engine
From: LARRY.SNYDER@monsanto.com
Date: 06 Jan 1999 07:46:42 -0600charset=iso-8859-1

     I've been off the list for the past couple of years as the Triumphs
     went on hold in favor of other pursuits, but now I'm reassembling the
     1969 Spitfire I disassembled some four years ago.

     I have most of the engine back together, but my question is about the
     camshaft timing.

     The Haynes book says "It's easy to get the camshaft 180 degrees off".

     According to my calculations, the camshaft turns once for each two
     revolutions of the crank. So if the cam sprocket is 180 degrees off,
     doesn't that simply mean that the next revolution of the crank is TDC
     on the compression stroke?

     Once the timing gears are covered, no one can see where the timing
     mark on the cam sprocket is anyway, and we always find TDC on the
     compression stroke by observing the behavior of the valves, so if the
     timing mark on the cam sprocket is 180 off, how can it matter?

     I'll bet I'm missing something here...

     Anyway, I want to make SURE I have the timing stuff right before I go
     on...

     Thanks!

     Larry in St. Louis