Re: Webers on a TR6

To: tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au
Subject: Re: Webers on a TR6
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 19:01:50 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

Concerning lightening your flywheel...

The best solution is an aluminium flywheel. However, they are quite
expensive. In the US, you can get them from Tilton... figure around $600
US, maybe a bit more. You can pick up used ones for less money, but you
have to be careful that they are actually usable... Hi Irv!

There's also a company called 10000 RPM that makes super lightwieght
flywheel / clutch assemblies - 10 pounds weight for a TR6 for the clutch
_and_ the flywheel! These cost around $700 or $800...

If you do cut down a steel flywheel, make sure you get it balanced when
you're done and be real careful you don't cut away so much metal as you
weaken the piece! If you go the lightened steel stock unit, consider a
"scatter shield" to protect your feet (and your passenger's feet) in case
the thing lets go under load.

I've seen some pretty scary results of failed flywheels. Granted these were
serious backyard mechanics and '55 Chevys, but I've seen the flywheel go
through the firewall (and it had to "escape" from the bell housing first!).
Not pretty.

But lightening the flywheel will def. help accelerate better.

I don't profess to know the downsides of lightened flywheels. But I'm sure
there are tradeoffs in the drivability area.

Good luck either way.

rml
TR6's