Re: warmup

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: warmup
From: George Hahn <geohahn@azstarnet.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 17:38:43 -0700
Jack W Drews wrote:

> How long should it take for a stock TR6 engine to come up to temp when
> it is, say, 50 deg outside?  My newly acquired jewel seems to take forever...

I don't have a 6 so I can only speak generally:  The suggestion to check
for a thermostat is sound since some PO's remove them under the false
impression that they're solving an overheating problem.

If you're looking for a quick check without disassembling anything you
might feel the hoses as the engine warms up.  If a properly operating
thermostat is in place the hoses (in particular the bottom hose) should
remain cold while the engine warms up.  Eventually the top hose starts
to get hot, indicating the the thermostat has opened and then the bottom
hose begins to warm up.  If both the hoses and the engine all warm
concurrently (and in your case perhaps very slowly) then the thermostat
is likely missing or stuck open.  I must confess I'm not intimately
familiar with the TR6 but I expect it generally adheres to this
configuration.

Oh yeah, please be careful to keep fingers, sleeves, hair, bolo ties,
etc. well clear of belts, pulleys and fans while your grabbing those
hoses.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3