Re: TR-4 rear seal

To: ArthurK101@aol.com, Altintash@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-4 rear seal
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 17:28:46 -0800
Greg Coffin asked:

> So I revisited the manual and
> it says to soak the felt seals in " sealing compound"  Moss say to pack them
> in dry,  the local TR guy says hylomar.  Any experience with this?  Initialy
> they were soaked in oil and packed in solid.

I've always soaked them in gasket shellac, then driven them in until
they
are pretty solid.  The gasket shellac that I've used is readily
available
in the common auto parts stores under the brand name "Indian Head" as I
recall.  Alternatively, I know of rebuilders who just fill the space
jam full of RTV, but that never seemed like a very good idea to me.

I hope that helps,
John Lye