Re: TR6: Fun w/oil gauge feed

To: msecrest@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR6: Fun w/oil gauge feed
From: vitesse@juno.com
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:44:09 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Martin,

Reference your broken plastic line...I tried to replace the plastic line
on the barbed fitting when mine broke after a rebuild in '73.  I also was
not able to get it to go back on.

I replace it with copper.  I got all the parts I needed from a plumbing
supply house, ( that was long before there was a Home Depot ).  You can
get all parts necessary at the Depot or similar type place.   I have
since put this type arrangement on all Triumphs I've gotten, whether I
noticed a problem or not. It will cost you a few points in concours, a
few dollars, and a couple of hours....it will save you having to clean
the engine bay, driveway, or worse base scenario..the interior if the
line breaks inside the car....been there....done that....and that oil is
HOT on your leg!

A few things I've leaned though.....At first I came out of the block with
an elbow, and went straight through the firewall and to the gauge.  This
lasted a few years but over time with the block movement on the motor
mounts, the copper line broke at the block.  I remember seeing some old
car with the copper line in a coil coming off the block.  I did that, 2
or 3 coils to allow for movement and I also put a fitting at the point
where it goes through the block to make sure it doesn't chaff.  I have
had that on my 250 since '84 and have not had a problem since.

Hope this helps

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA