Re: Alternator Conversion

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Conversion
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 20:35:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Brad Kahler wrote:

> I will be changing the generator on my TR4A to an alternator.  Which
> alternators have been used successfully and what size was it?  What
> kind of mounting problems did you experience?  Are you happy with
> the change?

Chevrolet 3-wire, 55 amp.  Appears to be out of an american car- fittings
are not metric.  (on the 55A unit in my Chevette, the fittings are metric,
and the mounting points are on different offsets).  Label denotes a custom
shop.

One of the bosses on the alternator casting has been ground off.  (was
about the size of a jelly bean).  Also, I think the stock TR pulley was
used, which is a bit too big.  Other than that I think it bolts right up.

As for my opinion: the conversion was PO-financed so I've never even seen
a TR generator ;-)  ...but I do like the convenience of the solid state
regulator (no points to noodle with), and it's got more than enough oomph
to run my Bosch headlamps and booming stereo.

There's a Most Excellent (tm) article by DanMas on the VTR web-site
regarding alternator swaps.  It features the GM 3-wire unit.  (4 wires if
you count the ground...)  Can't remember the exact URL but it's certainly
in the Electrics department of the maintenance section.

> I would like to put in a above average output alternator when I do this.
> No sense being border line here.

You can go right up to 150A (ambulance grade) with a chevy alternator, I
think... but 55A is common, and I have seen 37A as well.

-Malcolm