Re: Wire wheel cleaners-

To: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel cleaners-
From: fergie@ntplx.net
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:41:47 -0700
Cc: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Worsley wrote:

> Barry Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > Has anybody used Eagle 1's cleaner specifically for wire and chrome wheels?
> >  I am a little hesitant to use it on my GT6 chrome spoke wheels, but I
> > tried it on the old truck chrome wheels and they came out GREAT!  Look as
> > good as the day I put them on.  I noticed however, that after they had
> > dried, there was a white residue on the inside of the wheels where I
> > couldn't dry or reach with the sponge. I was really impressed, but the
> > truck I don't really care about.  Those wheels don't cost upwards of a
> > grand to replace.  My main concern was the long term effects.  The
> > ingredients list several acids, albeit mild, and cautions to use with
> > gloves.   I was thinking of removing the wheels from the car, using the
> > cleaner, and then spraying with a baking soda/water solution to neutralize
> > the acids and wiping dry.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Or should I go
> > back to the foamy engine cleaner and nylon brush pain in the a** route?
> > The old truck wheels really looked great after a cleaning with the stuff,
> > even took off the slight rust!
> >
> > Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
> > 72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> > 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> > 70 Spitfire
>
> Barry,
>
> The stuff is great for cleaning aluminum items.  It comes in a formula
> for painted or clear coated and a formula for non painted wheels. the
> type for non painted wheels has more phosphoric acid in it than the
> other.  It cuts grease better than anything I have found.  You have to be
> careful where you use it though.  I cleaned my 8 engine and aluminum
> acessories with it.  When using it this way you have to keep it qaway
> from electrical and moving parts with bearings etc.
>
> I wouldn't use it on wire wheels as it might find a weak spot in the
> chrome plating and start eating on it and then rust will take over.
>
> Joe Worsley
> 80 TR8
> 72 TR6
> Tupelo, MS

Don't even recall how I happened on this page, but it's a rather lengthy
discourse on auto detailing; wheel cleaners, tire treatments,
silicone-based compounds like Armour-All, car wash soaps, etc. Don't
know if the author knows what he's talking about, but it's probably
worth a look. He does make specific product recommendations and offers
his opinions on what to avoid as well. Looks like it was written for the
Porsche audience, but hey, they're nice cars too. Anyway, it's at

http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/vw/Body/Detailing

Michael Ferguson