Re: Wire wheel cleaners-

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel cleaners-
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:21:15 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Has anybody used Eagle 1's cleaner specifically for wire and chrome wheels?
>  I am a little hesitant to use it on my GT6 chrome spoke wheels, but I
> tried it on the old truck chrome wheels and they came out GREAT!  Look as
> good as the day I put them on.  I noticed however, that after they had
> dried, there was a white residue on the inside of the wheels where I
> couldn't dry or reach with the sponge. I was really impressed, but the
> truck I don't really care about.  Those wheels don't cost upwards of a
> grand to replace.  My main concern was the long term effects.  The
> ingredients list several acids, albeit mild, and cautions to use with
> gloves.   I was thinking of removing the wheels from the car, using the
> cleaner, and then spraying with a baking soda/water solution to neutralize
> the acids and wiping dry.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Or should I go
> back to the foamy engine cleaner and nylon brush pain in the a** route?
> The old truck wheels really looked great after a cleaning with the stuff,
> even took off the slight rust!
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
> 72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> 70 Spitfire

Barry,

The stuff is great for cleaning aluminum items.  It comes in a formula
for painted or clear coated and a formula for non painted wheels. the
type for non painted wheels has more phosphoric acid in it than the
other.  It cuts grease better than anything I have found.  You have to be
careful where you use it though.  I cleaned my 8 engine and aluminum
acessories with it.  When using it this way you have to keep it qaway
from electrical and moving parts with bearings etc.

I wouldn't use it on wire wheels as it might find a weak spot in the
chrome plating and start eating on it and then rust will take over.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6
Tupelo, MS