Re: TR4/4A/250

To: jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4/4A/250
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "List, Tiumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, jonmac wrote:

> > fender is a dark brown color.  My Moss catalog doesn't have a brown at
> > it's had a patch welded over the area where the parking lamp goes.
>
> We're talking rear wing for fender? Looks like what you've got is a panel
> in anti-rust primer. From what I remember, the original replacement body
> panels were painted either a matt black (very few) or more usually 'red
> oxide' primer which gave them a predominantly dark orange look.

No, this is much more dark than primer (I've seen that color on repro
panels- looks like red oxide :-))  It's closest to Russet Brown, which I
know is a Spitfire color, and I think it's TR6 too (?)

Has anyone ever placed a TR4/4A/250 rear fender beside a TR6 rear fender?
My fender had been welded around the perimeter, from the rocker to the
tail-light.  It rusted so badly I can't figure out if it's a TR6 fender.
The color is a clue of course, but how reliable?

All this speculation is a little on the excessive side anyway; as I'm
using the sheetmetal regardless (and hacking it up without a second
thought) - just a matter of curiosity.

> >Another thing I saw: under all the silver on the wheels I find body color
>
> the wheels are concerned, it sounds like you've probably got two different
> sorts originating from different suppliers. Both were identical and painted
> by the wheel manufacturer to the same paint spec. What you've found in
> different colours is anti-rust over the bare pressed rim and centre plate.

Perhaps I've found evidence of re-painting over accident damage.  My car
has been much abused in its past lives- lots of evidence of patching and
dents.  The red I found is very bright, and matches the red I found under
the undercoating (!) on the inner fenders.

I tried to replicate the "color scheme" on my web-page, but I had to fudge
it (my scanner is greyscale- the pics are tinted afterward)  Overall I've
been unimpressed by the current paint job- in some places they must have
but 3 *thick* coats of paint on- I've chipped it hundreds of times it
seems, sometimes by as little as a socket bouncing off a seam :-(

> If memory serves correctly you've got wheels from supplier Sankey and
> supplier Rubery Owen. When painted silver (?) for production fitment, it
> was impossible to tell who had made which - I think. Maybe if you look
> carefully you might find a tell-tale stamp differentiating them but for the
> life of me I wouldn't know which is which.

I've learned from other sources (hi Andy) that Sankey wheels are stamped
with an "S" in a diamond.  4 of 5 of my wheels also have a "PATT #"
stamped on them- a source of puzzlement, but it won't stop me from putting
tires on the wheels :-)

> John Mac

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm