Re: Spitfire Tranny Question : Disassembly

To: Chris <spitfire@cyber-west.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Tranny Question : Disassembly
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:51:33 GMT
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:32:34 -0600, you wrote:

>All;
>
>Just re-joined the list recently and hope someone has done a tranny
>rebuild on a '78 Spitfire.  I have the tranny out.  The bell housing is
>off, the tail housing is off.  I have the shifter forks out as well.  I
>am now stuck at a puzzle point.  I have pressed out the main saft
>bearings on both ends after removing the circlips.  Now what ? The book
>mentions pressing the speedo gear off.  Is this right ?

Yes....this is the next step.

>Then they indicate the bearing on the output side needs to slide off the output
>shaft ? I must be missing something, can anyone shed some light on this
>?

This is correct but the terminology get's confusing.  The main shaft
and the output shaft are one and the same.  There are two bearings on
the mainshaft, one in the extension housing and one in the rear gear
case.  Between them is the speedo gear.  All three items need to be
pressed off the mainshaft in order to remove the mainshaft from the
gear case.

>The tranny has been at this stage of disassembly for a couple of months
>since I got frustrated and did not want to destroy such an elegant
>design...
>
>Any help would be appreciated !!!
>
>Chris in Utah
>spitfire@cyber-west.com

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits