Re: TR250 Body Tub

To: "Stinocher, Bryan D." <bdstinocher@sewsus.com>
Subject: Re: TR250 Body Tub
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:27:23 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'TRIUMPH MAIL'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Stinocher, Bryan D. wrote:

> question: I want to take the tub off the frame but the mechanicals intact.
> Is this possible? Will the tub lift off of the frame, or do I need to take
> out the engine (or serious dismantle it) or anything else? Will the inner

I think the tub should come off.  You might have to remove some of the
protruding components (carbs, radiator, distributor) before lifting.

> front fenders come off as well? It looks welded, but I can't really tell.

Not on the TR4.  Unless you have a very, very rusty example!  They are
held on by the usual dozens of spot welds.

> I'm trying to get a rolling frame with the mechanicals so that I can work on
> it one at a time, do all work with the tub off, then fix the tub, etc, and
> put back on the frame. Am I crazy?

You should probably reinforce the tub (either with lumber, or weld a big
piece o' steel into the middle) so that it doesn't flex too much when off
the car.  Extra important to do this if the rockers/floors are shot.

Quick & dirty method is to weld the doors shut.  That's more suited to the
unit-body MGB and midget- to fix the floor you usually put it on a
rotisserie, or get some strong friends over and flip the thing over.

I liked Brad's idea of building a slave frame (again, out of lumber or
scrap steel) to support the body tub while it's being worked on.

BTW, we're all crazy around here.  No one will notice ;-)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm