TR4/4A/250

To: <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: TR4/4A/250
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:10:59 +0100
Cc: "List, Tiumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> I also noticed that the final layer of paint on my (replacement) rear
> fender is a dark brown color.  My Moss catalog doesn't have a brown at
all
> in the color chart- is it a TR250 color?  I suspect it's a TR250 fender
as
> it's had a patch welded over the area where the parking lamp goes.

We're talking rear wing for fender? Looks like what you've got is a panel
in anti-rust primer. From what I remember, the original replacement body
panels were painted either a matt black (very few) or more usually 'red
oxide' primer which gave them a predominantly dark orange look.

>Another thing I saw: under all the silver on the wheels I find body color
>(red on some, black on one, brown on one :-( )  Jonmac, did they roll the
>cars thru the oven on their own wheels, or on a cart?  Were the wheels
>painted in situ, or removed from the car?

No, the raw painted body was pulled through on a conveyor on a trolley.
Temperature in the paint oven was at its highest at the point of entry to
'burn off' the thinners and other petroleum based dilutants to keep the
paint flowable and liquid. Temperature and air extraction was high, the
body was just painted steel with no other fixtures or fittings. As far as
the wheels are concerned, it sounds like you've probably got two different
sorts originating from different suppliers. Both were identical and painted
by the wheel manufacturer to the same paint spec. What you've found in
different colours is anti-rust over the bare pressed rim and centre plate.
If memory serves correctly you've got wheels from supplier Sankey and
supplier Rubery Owen. When painted silver (?) for production fitment, it
was impossible to tell who had made which - I think. Maybe if you look
carefully you might find a tell-tale stamp differentiating them but for the
life of me I wouldn't know which is which.

John Mac