painting suspension/frame

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: painting suspension/frame
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:10:45 -0400
In tidying up as I complete my front end rebuild I would like to paint
and prevent rust on the suspension parts and at least the  local frame
sections. The remainder of frame, rear suspension etc to be done at some
future time in my rolling restoration project.

The POR-15 solutions is very attractive ( am not going concours here,
its a "20-footer driver"), but I am concerned about what happens if the
surface is not properly prepared. If I just degrease and brush off the
surfaces and paint with POR-15 over whatever paint or sealant or rust
inhibitor that might be there, am I creating any bigger rust problems
for my self down the road by locking in other things under the POR-15? I
realize that POR 15 as a rust inhibitor is most effective if painted on
rusted surfaces, but what happens on non-rusted surfaces or over other
products?

Thanks, as usual.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6