trunion lube

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: trunion lube
From: kehrlich@dyax.com (Keith S. Ehrlich)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:08:20 -0400
Listers-

I'm thankfully beyond the halfway point of my TR6 front end rebuild
project-all parts are out of car ( whew!), all replacement parts are in
a box tagged and ready to go.

On the question of trunion lube. The manual says use 90 weight gear oil
and I have read much on the list over time about using the Mercury
Outboard lube gun to get the stuff into the trunion via the nipple if
the trunion is already mounted on the car. On the other hand, I believe
I have seen more than one post suggesting that modern molybdenum (sp?)
grease will perform as well, though the overwhelming discussion centers
on the gear oil problem.

 Before assembling it all back together, I'd like to pre-lube the
trunions using one or the other method and stay with it for good. My
preference would be to use "modern grease" as it is more easily injected
with a standard grease gun and always on-hand for other applications
anyway. So what's a fella to do? Any strong feelings one way or the
other would surely be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6 getting ready for 6-Pack Trials