TR6 sliding axle shaft seal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 sliding axle shaft seal
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:44:38 -0700
I am looking for the axle shaft seal that was apparently used on some
models of either the TR4A or 6 (possibly other makes as well).  This is the
seal between the sliding spline section of the rear axle half shafts, and
actually screws onto the female half shaft.  This is NOT the rubber
bellows, most commonly associated with these axle half shafts, but an
actual neoprene lip, or oiled leather type seal, with a metal housing that
screws onto the female side with a VERY fine thread.  This seal is what I
need.  I know that they were used and manufactured at some time as I have
one complete (nos) new assembly purchased at the MOSS festival (VERY good
price), and one used female end with just the threads (no seal).  Does
anybody know where I can get on of these seals or have one lying about that
they would part with?  I would even be willing to buy the axle half shaft
WITH the seal, if that was the only way one would sell it-I can't just use
the bellows-in this application I don't have room.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire