Re: TR6 sliding axle shaft seal

To: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 sliding axle shaft seal
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 06:41:49 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob K. writes:
>I have never seen or heard of this seal. Was this an aftermarket part?
Bob,
No, it is apparently an alternate fittment.  The seal I am talking about is
in lew of the bellows type more commonly found on these halfshafts.  It is
very similar to the ones used on a lot of the driveshafts (and may quite
possibly be the same as one)  I should probably clear up a few details.
Both seals are not used on the same halfshaft, only one or the other
(bellows or lip type)  As far as I can tell these were used as original
equipment as the one I have without the seal is an old, well used, but
still serviceable one.  It is different in that it has very fine threads
cut into the outside of the sliding end to accept this particular seal
type.  I can't tell when or where the replacement one that I purchased as
new was made, as it didn't come in a box.  The Moss catalog for the
TR250-TR6 spare parts and restoration catalog, page 32, item 61, shows the
type of halfshaft assembly, with the seal as I have described quite
clearly.  I am not certain if the replacement halfshaft assemblys (at
around $165, a little steep for just the seal that I want) come with this
seal or not.  I guess I could check with Moss Motors, but I have a feeling
that it doesn't

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire