TR4 - Engine Noise - The Hunt Continues

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 - Engine Noise - The Hunt Continues
From: sanborn@net1plus.com
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:46:27 -0400

Alan,

I think I may have stumbled on to the answer.  Last night I noticed to things.
First that the front motor mounts are not stock parts and they are in much
better shape than I thought.  The back mount is soft and swollen from oil
damage.  I was confusing memories of all the TR4s I went under during my quest.

I tried chocking up the wheels and pushing the engine to a stall to see how
much deflection there was.  It rotates to the right about an 1 or 2 inches
looking at the themostat housing.  I don't know where the motor mounts came
from but I will schedule a replacement.

The real interesting news is that I noticed that the generator was mounted with
the FULL ammount of extension on the fan belt adjustment bracket.  This means
that the bracket is below the level of the wheel well sheet metal and about 5/8
- 3/4 of an inch from touching the metal.  I stuffed some light foam rubber in
this gap and drove the car... the noise was much hard to bring on.  Tonight I
will put a piece of soft wood in to completely block the movement.  If that is
it I have a new fan belt which should change the height of the generator and
clear the problem.

Thanks for your interest and advice

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L  Groton,MA