RE: TR6--Sealing the Frame

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, "'canada'" <canada@voyageronline.net>
Subject: RE: TR6--Sealing the Frame
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:22:07 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
a couple of thoughts. Surface rust itself is nothing to worry about. But
this can develop into more serious rust over the time, so take the
chance now its getting off easy to get it off. I used hamerite to paint
it, depending on what you want you could give it a light overcoat of
erm... undersealant for the simple reason that this will keep the
hamerite or indeed any paint from chipping. Unless you are prepared to
check the paint every sooften. I am but not everybody is. I waxoyled the
inner parts of the frame which is much more important, as the things
tend to rust through this way. I wouldn't worry too much at that time
about the missing quarter of the frame, once you have painted it, give
the thing a blast of waxoyl  and try to reach as much of the top as you
can. Suspension, you can paint everything, but particularely on the
springs its difficult to get stick as they are working in themselves.
Powder coating probably would help. You can zinc coat the springs as
well, don't have them dipped though, its supposed to be bad for them.

Gernot