TR6--Sealing the Frame

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6--Sealing the Frame
From: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 98 17:54:11 -0000
I keep my 76 TR6 garaged, but the recent PO kept it in a barn for several
years. Almost zero body rust, but there is very light to light surface rust on
about 30 % of the frame.  The rust can "easily" be removed with a wire brush
and all the metal and welds are rock solid.  Ultimately, I will want to
completely seal the frame and never have to worry about it again.  In two years
or so, I plan to pull the engine for a major rebuild and will paint the body at
that time as well.

I am currently working under the car replacing bushings, shocks springs etc.  I
donıt really want to, but I COULD spend a few more weeks down there
wire-brushing, priming (POR 15) and painting exposed areas of the frame.
Before I commit to that, however, I have several questions:

How much do I need to worry about surface rust on the frame?

With the body on the car, I obviously wonıt be able to seal the top surfaces of
the frame.  Would sealing 3 sides now be worth the effort?

Would it make more sense to wait two years, pull the body and do the frame
right at that time?

Finally, which parts of the suspension should be painted?  Whatıs the best
paint to use underneath?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Ian CF57345U