Re: Torque Rods

To: thebrown@digital.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Torque Rods
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:15:25 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-21 11:33:32 EDT, thebrown@digital.net writes:

> I would like to reduce roll steer on my TR4.  I note in the Competition prep
>  manual, there is reference to Torque Rods.  They only briefly discuss this,
>  leaving out important details about how to construct the basic rod or part#
>  if it could have been bought.  It simply states that "the torque rods are
>  bolted up under the rear spring "U" bolt plate. with the rod in direct
>  middle of the spring line, arc-weld the forward end to the chassis frame.
>  The rubber grommet in the torque rods are pre-set and should not be
>  tightened further."

Darwin,

A couple of pointers:

1) In the August, '97 issue of "The MGV8 Newsletter" there is a complete "how-
to" article on this subject. It is written for an MGB, but the theory will
also apply to a TR4 - just change the details. A copy of this newsletter can
be obtained (for about $5, I believe) from:

The MG V-8 Newsletter
1855 Northview Road
Rocky River, OH 44116

2) On pages 46 and 47 of the Peterson Publication's magazine "Suspension, Tire
& Wheel" (currently on the newstands) there is a brief discussion and a couple
of photos of a "Cal-Trac" set-up. Supposedly, this set-up is better than the
standard torque rod, at least from what I've read in the various Hot Rod type
magazines. There are no dimensions, but the photos are clear enough that it
would not be difficult to design one to fit the TR4. This set-up doesn't
appear to be any more difficult to construct than the other types. I am
planning one for my TR6/Ford 302 project.

I have no personal knowledge of the effects of any of torque rods and/or Cal-
tracs, I'm just passing on the references for your info. If you build yours
before I get to mine, please let me know what you learn from your experience.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74