Re: Torque Rods

To: thebrown@digital.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Torque Rods
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:04:36
Hi Darwin,
     You wrote:

>I would like to reduce roll steer on my TR4.  I note in the Competition prep
>manual, there is reference to Torque Rods.  They only briefly discuss this,
>leaving out important details about how to construct the basic rod or part#
>if it could have been bought.

They were available from the Competition Department, so they didn't think
that there was any need for dimensions.  Of course, they are no longer
available...  They were basically a staight tube that went forward from
the lower u-bolt pan toward the front of the car and attached to a bracket
welded to the frame at roughly the same position as the front leaf spring
eye.  I had a set of these on my car when I first got it; one major problem
with them was that they reduced the ground clearance significantly.  My
car is somewhat lowered, which compounded the problem.  On a full-on race
car, you can do something similar on top of the springs, but that requires
cutting the body tub for them to pass through.  I've now got a very different
arrangement that makes a sort of A-frame which helps locate the axle side
to side at the same time.

>Also, in the
>Bentley manual, there is reference to recambering rear road springs and
>distance pieces.  If there any information available on what these
>dimensions might be?

Depends on how much you want to lower the car...

R. John Lye

'59 TR-3A; '62 TR-4; '70 GT-6+
Palmyra, VA  USA

rjl6n@Virginia.edu