Re: TR250/6 engine stand

To: LLong@Kollmorgen.com
Subject: Re: TR250/6 engine stand
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 21:42:18 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Soon I will be renting an engine hoist to pull the engine and tranny out
 of my TR250.  I want to store it, but don't want to simply set it some
 where in the garage or basement.  I'd like to store it on some type of
 contraption so that I can roll it around the garage.  I'm thinking of
 building a box frame, say 3' x 2' frame out of 2x10's and put some stout
 casters on it.  I wont need the frame to be such that I can work on the
 engine as it is stored....I just want to be able to roll it around
 MY QUESTION IS--->has any one built anything like this....or have their
 own design that gets at what I'm trying to do? >>

Hello Tom,

Yes!
Last year I decided to rebuild a spare engine, just in case. (See the list
below if you are wondering why)
After the rebuild, I made a "dolly" out of 2x4's and 2x6's with 4 heavy
casters. Works fine.
I made it so the frame was about the size of the oil sump perimeter. The
engine sits on the frame with the weight on the sump attachment bolts. The
other things I did was take an old chewed up sump plug, cut off the square
head, and then cut a slot across it. The reason was I wanted to seal up the
motor as much as possible and the plug wasn't accessible after being lowered
into the frame. I wound up with a flush sump plug removeable with a flat
screwdriver. I did some other things to seal up the motor as well but this may
not apply in your case.
In other words "I have the T-shirt"!
Hope this helps.

Ken Nuelle