Re: GT6 engine and radiator valances

To: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 engine and radiator valances
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 06:38:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I'm also missing the front rad. cowling, and have been contemplating
>making one up from aluminum sheet so as to ram cold air in, and keep
>hot air out. If anyone has done this, I'd like to hear about it ...
I made mine (front valance) out of steel, just 'caus I had enough laying
about from some other body project.  Patterned right from the cardboard
one.  I got tired of the cardboard ones sagging in the middle and blocking
the already marginal airflow.  Painted it matt black (to simulate the
cardboard look, and because I still had a little matt paint left).  Looks
and works great.  I didn't however, make any pattern - you know, I didn't
figure anyone else would want/need one-  I have the original style
(replacement) cardboard ones on the engine sides.  These are still
available from the big two (Victoria British, TRF), as well as Rimmer Bros
in the UK.  The only problem is that they don't come with the steel angle
supports at the top, you just get the cardboard and you need to re-rivet
the angle supports on to them.  And the angle supports aren't just straight
either, like they are in the Spitfire.  They narrow down at the front, to
accommodate the narrower than the Spitfire radiator.  Luckily, my car still
had the valances (or what was left of them).  I seem to remember I had to
fabricate the LH one which I made up of steel that I cut, bent and welded
per original.  The old one was pretty rusty, and it was easier to fabricate
a new one than to try and restore what was left of the old one.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire