Re: Triumph Technical Reference Database--good idea? or not

To: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Technical Reference Database--good idea? or not
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:32:27 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Rick Gregory wrote:

> The database would be more like an "index" with links to those
> articles provided by individuals (or clubs or other factions for that
> matter). Plus due credit would, of course, be provided. For example:

I intend to put HTML links into the FAQ.  I have appended a bit more to
it- right now I'm trying to hammer out a helper app that would take care
of the numbering & contained links (click here to jump down...) for me, so
that the potential editor could just write the FAQ like a database.

The major problems with databases is that they're not the easiest monsters
to tame.  If you choose to use a Microsoft product, you will have all the
benefits of Access, which is a portable format... but Access always seemed
to be "less than intuitive" for me.

The other problem is maintenance- do you "hire" a team of people to
organize, debug, compile data?  Do you make it "automatic", and hope it's
self-sustaining?  Or do you go solo (like me) and become boggled by the
mass of information to be processed...

Anyway, a web index is a good idea.  Keep us posted.  I can offer moral
support at the least ;-)

-Malcolm