Triumph Technical Reference Database--good idea? or not

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Triumph Technical Reference Database--good idea? or not
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 18:32:55 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Everyone!

I've been talking with Jeroen van den Bergh (of the Triumph Spitfire
Club, Holland) about the possibility of compiling a large "technical
reference database" online. The idea is to take advantage of the web
as an excellent means of providing technical articles (text and
pictures) regarding the restoration, modification, and maintenance of
our Triumph cars. We want to keep them rolling!

As it stands right now many of us place technical material on our web
sites, no doubt as it a means to encourage visitation from other
triumph enthusiasts. I know the VTR site contains numerous articles.
The idea is not to take away from this but rather to complement it.

The database would be more like an "index" with links to those
articles provided by individuals (or clubs or other factions for that
matter). Plus due credit would, of course, be provided. For example:

"Replacing U-Joints on Spitfire 1500", by Fred Q. Jones (email if
author desires)
.
.
"Replacing Lucas based Alternator with GM", by Whomever Smith
.
.
etc

Clicking on the articles would jump the user to that article on
whatever site it resides on. If anyone wants to submit article(s), but
doesn't have the web space, it can reside on the site of the index
itself.

Of course, articles would be arranged in some organized
fashion--grouping like material together and making it easy to find.

Does this sound feasible to any of you? Does such a resource already
exist (on the grand scale we are talking)?

Making MORE information easier to find on the internet is the goal
here... Maybe you know what I'm talking about: You "surf" around for
hours and there is an abundance of information spread out all over the
place. This might make it a little easier to find what you want and
would make a great place to check "first" ... This is similar to why I
believe the idea of the FAQ that is currently in production is such a
good idea. And why the new triumph web ring can be worth while. The
ring provides people with a systematic means of visiting all the
sites. (A starting point and an ending point when you come full circle)

Well any input is appreciated. Just reply back to me.

--Rick