Re: GT6 camber, TR6 clutches

Subject: Re: GT6 camber, TR6 clutches
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 18 Aug 1998 21:42:14 -0400
[ I arise from a Triumph-list slumber of months... ]

"Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca> writes:
>I don't know about the GT6, but on the TR6, the top wishbone hanger
>(pinion), can be reversed to allow more or less camber.  Would this be
>possible?

        Certainly that sort of problem would cause this - it's easy to
install them backwards too.  Some cars (Sprites) have an offset upper
knuckle; if installed backwards you'll have massive positive camber.

        The other option is that the uprights are too far apart.  On the
TR6, there's a bolt-in cross tube between them - mine had 1/4"+ shims
between it and the towers(!) when I bought the car.

On my '70 TR6:
        I'm fighting the typical "not quite disengaged" problem with
my TR6.  Master rebuilt over the weekend, no joy.  Slave will be rebuilt
this coming weekend (new slave pushrod/clevis too); I'm hoping the casting
is ok.  I get 98+% disengagement (very slight drag).  Master clevis was
replaced; master pushrod isn't too ovaled (pedal is a little, not much).
It's been getting slowly worse for the last 10 years.  Probably the
standard slowly-cracking fork pin; I'll deal with that this winter,
probably (and rebuild the trans while I'm at it).  Of course, it got
to the annoying point right when the Merkur and Rover SD1 were both broken.

        I had a fuel pump diaphragm failure last weekend - a drip every 2
seconds, 2 per second while running.  Luckily I had a stock replacement
pump I'd been given by a friend who has a PI TR6 - the pump on my car was
Italian(?), and obviously made for a TR6 - the connections were in exactly
the right positions, even though the pump was 1/2 the size of the stock one
(the inlet/outlet were on "pillars").  Anyone know if there are rebuild
kits available for them?  (So I can have a working one on the shelf again.)
This was the first failure of the '6 in 2 summers of 2-3Kish miles.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com