Re: TR4 - 4A Weber info

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 - 4A Weber info
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:12:41 -0400
Hi,

While I confess to not being a total expert on WeberZ, I will offer this
direct experience.

On TR6's with vaccuum _retard_, if the retard is not connected, the
distributor will go to full mechanical advance as soon as the car starts.
This does not give inspiring performance, by any stretch of the imagination.
You get initial advance (due to the centrifugal spin of the dizzy) and then
no more advance at any RPM. I do not know TR4's, but maybe you are seeing
the same problems that I was seeing.

If you want to get the dizzy right, find a shop that has a distributor
machine and have them curve the thing to 20 of 25 degrees of total
mechanical advance.  Then plug up the vacuum lines and have fun. Note: TR4's
probably have an ideal total advance number, consult the TR4 performance
book for the "correct" number.

The importance of proper ignition cannot be emphasized enough for a Weber
conversion. I need to be reminded from time to time.

If you have deep pockets, you could do "the right thing" and put in an
electronic box that does all the advance and everything for you.
Electomotive has a nice unit and MSD and all the others do too. With those
systems you set up a crank trigger and you set the box and everything works
just dandy. Hi John!

If this is a street car, you probably do not want the high end electronic
solution, but if you go to WeberZ, make sure that _everything_ is working
well before you put the webers on. Really.

I mean really.

see ya,
rml
Bob Lang
TR6's - at least one with 3 DCOE40 WeberZ.