GT6 Front Camber Woes 2

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 Front Camber Woes 2
From: SSwan60@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:25:31 EDT
I realize it sometimes takes more than one message to get a response so
I'll try it one more time.

Something must be wrong with my front suspension. I can’t get the
proper camber on my front wheels (to much positive camber). I took my
car to an alignment shop after I rebuilt the suspension and installed
new shocks. The alignment shop told me that would need a bunch more
shims to get the proper camber. Even with all the shims I made up they
couldn’t get the lower wishbone out far enough because they ran out of
bolt. On the rear of the left wishbone I’ve got about 5/8” of shims.

What am I missing here? Seems like there really isn’t that much to goof
up on. Does it have to do with the shocks I installed? I can’t
remember the make but I bought them from The Roadster Factory back in
1985 (car sat idle for 12 years before I got it going again). The
installed height from the bottom of the bottom cup to the top of the top
cup is 9 inches. Is this the dimension that my manual lists as the
“fitted length (test load)” equaling ~8.06”? Would that make a
difference? GT6 owners, help me out by measuring this distance on your
springs. Maybe my shocks are to long.

The shock is the only thing I can think of because there doesn’t seem to
be any other room for error. I did install a swing spring in the rear,
possibly lowering the rear a tiny bit but I can’t see that effecting the
front this much.

I also remember taking out (and I still have it) a 1/2” spacer from on
top of one of the springs. Was this to compensate for the weight of the
driver?

Thanks
Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN
‘67 GT6 Mk1