Re: TR-4A - Flushing brake lines, the Sequel.

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: TR-4A - Flushing brake lines, the Sequel.
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 12:01:50 -0700
Cc: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
That's true Fred. But I figure air enters the minute you open any joint
in the system anyway. My thinking was more to be sure all the alcohol is
out before sealing the system back up and refilling/flushing with brake
fluid. But Joe Curry makes a good point about the compressed air
introducing moisture or something even worse back into the system, so a
"drip dry" and patience (yeah, right) might be in order.

Actually, on my car I am simply replacing all the pipes & fittings, all
rubber hoses with flex stainless steel, rebuilding M/C, wheel cylinders,
calipers (replacing stock pistons w/stainless steel). I'll be using DOT4
or DOT5.1 fluid (aka - paint remover), not silicone based. I will not
need to use the denatured alcohol  to flush the system, but have used
plenty cleaning up & reconditioning the various cylinders. Every manual
(TR & other) I've seen says you should only use denatured alcohol or the
compatible brake fluid in the system, nothing else. The brake system is
about the most critical on the car & worth doing right.

BTW, you may already know this but it bears repreating... never fully
disassemble a Girling caliper (beyond removing pistons, bleeder valve).
There are handy bolts there keeping the split assembly together. Leave
em alone. I understand reassembly requires special torquing procedures.
Also keep strong cleaning fluids away from the joint, as there is a
rubber O-ring in there, which if damaged, would ruin the caliper
entirely. If the caliper is leaking from the center seam, it's time to
get a whole new unit.

Lastly, does anyone out there have a caliper piston dust (outer) seal? I
have one torn (don't be to heavy handed putting those pistons back in!)
and hate to buy a full rebuild kit (from Moss or B.V.) to get just one
seal. Alternatively, know anyone who sells the pieces, not only the full
kit?

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 #CT17602