Re: Towing a car

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Towing a car
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:52:11 PDT
I just towed my spit home on a U-haul Auto transport about a month ago.
Actually its a lot harder to control when its empty.  With no load every
little bump in the road was yanking my explorer.  Also I hope you got a
pretty hefty truck to pull your TR.  The trailer weighs 2200 lbs
unladen.  My Explorer took it without too much complaint but it wasn't
much fun.  Unless you've got some good trailer experience under your
belt, DO NOT get yourself in a position where you have to reverse the
trailer.  I've pulled a lot of boats and in comparison it wasn't that
bad if you know how to do it.  Besides that go slow and get used to
seeing a TR 250 getting ready to rear end you for a long time.  I towed
the spit for nearly 4 hours I was so glad (so was my explorer) to get
that thing home.

Overall the u-haul is a solid piece of equipment it has inertia brakes
and those nice tire holders that are attatched to a ratchet.  I'd
recommend it to anyone who needs to tow an LBC.  My spit fit on the
rails so any car on the list should fit if you can drive it on there
straight.

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire