RE: US vs. UK

To: "'Allen Nugent'" <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: RE: US vs. UK
From: gbuck@pinnaclegrp.com (Gordon Buck)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:41:13 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Allen,
A minor point, but the P-51 even with the Allison V12 performed very well.  The
problem was with its performance at altitude.  The Allison did not have a
supercharger on it therefore severely restricting performance above 10,000 ft.
The Allison engined P-51's, however, were used very effectively in the ground
attack role.  The greatest need at the time was an effective long-distance,
high-performance interceptor.  When the Rolls Royce engine as installed
(supercharger included), then the P-51 became the super star we all know.

Oh well, blah, blah, blah.  Sometimes my brain has way too much useless
information, and I just have to unload when I get the chance.   Sorry about
that.  I sure enjoy hearing from everyone from all corners of the planet.  This
list is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I hope I'm not out of line just
jumping in from time to time.  I'm pretty new to this e-mail thing and even
newer to the list (2 weeks now).  Thanks for all the great info.

Gordon Buck
Sultan, Washington
71 TR6
67 MGB GT