Re: US vs. UK

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: US vs. UK
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 18:36:18 +0200
Cc: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Allen,
we don't have that 'murrican  way of recalling cars in Europe...
At least not in Sweden, I'm sure. Over here the service garages
gets a notice about what is expected to be done, and then when
a car of the type concerned shows itself on their doorstep they
tell the owner about it and then do the job - and the importer/
factory picks up the bill...
In the 12+ years I have had my '86 Jetta II [since new] it has
happened twice to me. The first time was when the car was some
8-10 years old when it was expected to have its heater core and
piping changed to a new type not prone to rupturing and frying
the legs of the occupants... Had happened it tropical heat they
said. The second time was this spring when they had developed a
new, better valve cover seal that doesn't leak oil on top of the
manifolds...

And in all fairness: the best fighter in W.W.II wasn't the Mustang.
It was most definitely the Messerschmitt Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe.
[Remember we're talking World war here, not only Anglo-American
war.]

The 262 was faster [top speed some 870 kph - the second fastest
fighter of WW2, beaten only by the Me 163 Komet with its 960
kph], it had heavier armament [with 4 30 mm automatic cannon],
it had swept wings [5-10 years before the rest of the pack...]
etc etc. But, fortunately for all of us in the free world, the
Luftwaffe and the Germans had such problems with the development
of this splendid fighter that it entered front line service far
too late to have any significant bearing on the outcome of the war.

The P51D Mustang with its British designed [but Packard built]
engine was probably the best Western fighter of the second world
war.  To that I can gladly agree...  :-)
Yours
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg