Detroit locker rear end identification please?!?!?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Detroit locker rear end identification please?!?!?
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:05:58 -0500
Listers,

does anybody know what one of these is?  I think my 4.11 GT6 diff may have one.
 It is apart in my garage.

The carrier is splined to a cluster of beefy gears in the middle of the lot and
it is all held together in compression with large diameter springs, one on each
side.  There is little or no apparent wear on any piece except where the crown
wheel bolts on (been blown up once I think).

You cannot turn the axles against each other, but they will rotate freely
together in the same direction for about 10-15 degrees.  It gives a feeling of
big slop in the diff but upon inspection seems to be a design feature.

Does anybody know what this is and if this is normal?!?  (Johnny "sideways" Lye
 with the TR4, are you out there?)

Help,  I want to go whomp on an Austin Healey at the next vintage race.  This
would help.

TIA

DAve