Re: Detroit locker rear end identification please?!?!?

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: Detroit locker rear end identification please?!?!?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:12:44 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Dave Terrick wrote:

> Listers,
>
> does anybody know what one of these is?

        I have one in my mostly street driven TR4.

        In essence, it is a limited slip diferential. Unlike modern posis
        (which use a mechanism with clutches) the locker relys on a
        ratchet-like mechanism rather than clutches to lock up both rear
        wheels when slip on the driven wheel is detected.

        It's easy to spot a "locker". Outward apearance is unlike that of
        the standard rear (you can't see the spider gears) the "pumkin"
        looks like a closed cylinder).

        Driving with a locker installed is... Interesting.

        At slow speed in tight turns you will occasionally hear clunking.
        Driving at speed when you let off power the car will favor the
        left... nailing power the car will favor the right. "Favor" as in
        want to move in that direction. It's a bit disconcerting at first
        but you learn to live with it. Also occasionally you will hear
        clunks at speed when the rear detects slippage on the driven wheel
        (probably from irregularities or gravel in the pavement) and locks
        up...

        Subtle ain't one of a locker's virtues. As for performance your car
        may tend to understeer with a locker.

        I had sway bars both front and rear on my`4 prior to the locker.
        I had to remove the front sway bar to better manage the drastic
        understeer (as in almost no response to the helm under heavy
        power in first). With a GT6 it might be different (The `4 has a
        solid rear axle).

        On the whole I still like what the locker does for the car
        performance-wise (if I didn't it would have been gone long ago).

        Hope this helps

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois