Re: Paint and Carpets TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Paint and Carpets TR6
From: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis@fiac.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 18:16:14 -0400
Jack,
I recommend going with a modern base coat-clear coat finish. Easier to maintain
and more durable than urethane enamel or God forbid, lacquer. Our cars were
painted originally with a primitive enamel that you certainly wouldn't want
now, especially in red, as it fades so badly.
Take the time to remove the engine, all exterior trim, bumpers and windscreen
frame. A weekend's work, but well worth the effort in results. Also remove any
interior trim you don't want painted. No matter what any shop tells you,
whatever is on your car when it is painted WILL have some paint on it.
Assuming you have "tubbed" your car as described above and there is no serious
bodywork to be done, expect to pay between $1800-$3000 for a "head turning"
paint job. Be sure to describe to the shop owner/manager exactly what you want
done and what you expect from them, then get a detailed description of the work
to be done with your estimate. Oh, and Maaco doesn't do head turning paint
jobs!
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO (waiting for a new crank from TRF)
CF37325U (waiting for me to come up with the $2500 to get it done right)