Re: lever shocks

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: lever shocks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 17:56:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998 BUZZ52490@aol.com wrote:

> So I suppose you are trying to say that Britain made better cars than
> America?Better Technology? Lucas better than Delco?

Why not just leave this all as what it is: comparing the proverbial
apples to oranges. Different philosophies for different markets, decades
before the term "world car" came into vogue.

We could spend decades debating segments of this topic. One person would
bring up the technically fascinating Cord or Tucker, and the next could
delve into the intricacies of XK Jaguars or Rover turbines. And then we
could all have some fun with Ford, who, in the U.S. was still building a
very outdated car (in collosal numbers, BTW) as late as 1948, only
beginning to truly modernize their car beginning in the 1949 model year.
Meanwhile, in England through the early 1950s, that same company churned
out thousands of Anglias and Prefects, still with vacuum-operated wipers,
a flathead engine with thermo-syphon coolant circulation, and mechanical
brakes -- essentially a small Model T with a slightly more conventional
gearbox and slightly more modern coachwork.

But I promise I won't add to the debate! :-)

--Andy