Re: TR Rally lighting

To: "jmwagner" <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Re: TR Rally lighting
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 01:15:19 +0100
Cc: "List, Tiumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> If it was simply a higher output generator... how did they achieve this?
> mean... did they modify a stock one?  Did they stray from Lucas to
another
> maker?  Was there an existing Lucas generator from another car/source >
that did the trick?   etc...

I doubt they strayed from Lucas. Why should they - there was nothing wrong
with Lucas, contrary to list opinion. There still isn't. I have five cars
and two pre-war motorcycles, all with Lucas electrical components
comprising dynamos, alternators and a magneto - including one from 1936 and
none of them have ever given me any sort of trouble.
Lucas was/is still a key supplier to the UK auto and truck industry and
it's my guess they reviewed what other higher output units were available
at the time. Heaven knows, they had plenty of choice, but whether the
component came from a car, truck or whatever, I can't say.

John Mac