Re: TR Rally lighting

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: TR Rally lighting
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 08:38:08 -0700
Cc: "List, Tiumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
John... why do you assume there was a Lucas smear-job intended?  the triumph
works were operating under a very small budget... I would assume they would
just use what is available...  And my only reason for even asking if "straying
from Lucas" was a possibility... is that there may have been another
manufacturer with something that fit the bill... maybe not...

"contrary to List opinion"....  you make a lot of assumptions with that.

In regards to my post...I'm not really looking for guesses...  While I've
learned from some of the responses... especially the one about the pulley
sizes... but in regards to my original thread... I could have guessed that they
used a larger generator  or changed pulley sizes too...   I'm just really
curious to hear a historically correct diffinitive answer.

Since the person out there that may be a position to find out the answer... may
have to ask questions of another... I wanted them to know to ask detailed
questions...    Otherwise... the answer may just come back, "Oh, yeah, they
used larger generators..."     Well... that would be fine... but, if the
information isn't lost forever, I would like to know WHICH larger generator?
Was the pulley from another vehicle or custom turned?  etc. etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't appear to be subject covered in the historical documents...  so this
is the sort of thing that would be good file if we get a good answer.

Now... as far as Lucas goes... I restored my current driver (TR 4A)
mechanically about 4 years ago... and it's been an extremely reliable turn-key
car since...  about 12,000 miles without any significant failures... all  lucas
electronics...

On the other hand... I replaced my Lucas headlamp relays on my TR 7 (back in
the 80's) about four times... at $28 to $35.00 a pop....   they just kept
failing...   I ended up putting in a Radio Shack relay... (cubic instead of
conical, but same specs/prongs) at $1.99...   and it did not fail for 2 years
in Dallas, Texas (the worst winter they had in a decade) and 2 years in Florida
(with Hurricanes regularly passing by)...      BUT... other than this RELAY...
the rest of my 1979 TR 7 was one of the most reliable cars I ever owned.

There was a reason that the TR 7 electrical system was completely REVAMPED in
1979... (I think that was the year)...  the early TR 7 (LUCAS) electrical
system had a lot of problems.

Just about everyone has their Lucas experiences..

 I have a Bosch portable screw gun... and it's been a nightmare...  and now
doesn't work.   So I can bitch about Bosch too.

Neither your good luck with Lucas, nor mine,  is going to stop the
Lucas-Prince-Of-Darkness or refrigerator jokes.  : )

--Justin